They are learning tools that enable our Apprentices to:
- apply their knowledge and understanding to everyday life
- engage competently and confidently with others
- solve problems in both familiar and unfamiliar situations
- develop personally and professionally as positive citizens who can actively contribute to society.
Functional, Core or Essential Skills are about learning a skillbase, including communication, team working, presentation, and problem solving, that is then transferable to other areas of learning, life and work. For our Apprentices and our Retailer Network, they help make sense of daily life, from communicating with teams and our customers, to getting the best deal, and using a computer.
All our Apprentices will be challenged to develop their knowledge, understanding and use of Maths, English and ICT skills through their technical training.
However, those Apprentices that have not met the initial Jaguar Land Rover recruitment criteria in these topics must undertake further study to ensure they can progress through their Apprenticeship, and are required by the funding bodies to complete qualifications to prove they have met the standards set by employers.
These qualifications include:
- Representing – making sense of a situation and representing it mathematically.
- Analysing – processing and using maths.
- Interpreting – interpreting and communicating the results of analysis.
- Speaking and listening – making an oral presentation or report.
- Reading – reading and understanding information and instructions.
- Writing – writing accurately so that meaning is clear.
- Use of ICT systems.
- Finding and selecting information.
- Developing, presenting and communicating information.
Jaguar Land Rover is committed to delivering these skills to all Apprentices through a programme of embedded learning, online learning and personalised support.